Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One Down

First day of NaNo, and I hit my minimum word count. In order to make 50,000 words by Nov 30th without KILLING myself, the daily word minimum is about 1,667. In other words, I need to write about 1,700 words a day. I did it today, but it was tough. I got about 3.5 hours of sleep this morning. I went to bed around 8 a.m., I think. And that was only after I took some melatonin. I set my alarm for noon, then got up and started researching. I stated writing about 2 p.m. I took a break for dinner when I hit 1,000 words, then struggled with the last 700 words till about 11 p.m. But I did it. I’m hoping it will get easier as I get further in. It was just really slow going today because I had to stop every couple paragraphs to research something. Fortunately there is a lot of info about New Orleans in 1929. The Big Easy was a pretty popular place during the Prohibition because it was totally lax and apparently corruption in politics and police was rampant.

I’m such a stickler for details, I’m beginning to wonder if it was a good idea to set this novel in the ’20s. I’m not satisfied if my reader doesn’t believe I’ve been to the place I’m writing about which, in this case, is sort of impossible. I want to use street names, and names of real buildings that existed at the time, and names of real historical figures. Fortunately, so far I’ve been able to find most everything I need, even down to the kind of firearms policemen of the period would have used, and whether they would have worn shoulder or hip holsters!

But I did spend way too much time researching today and not enough time writing. I hit my minimum, but only just. I need to cut loose a little and realize that I can go back and fix the details later. x_x

No comments:

Post a Comment